Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Easter Egg Nests

Before going into the oven
I thought about not putting this one in. It did not turn out as well as I thought it should. The family says they are tasty. I will keep tweeking the recipe and post an update if I can get them to wear I want them.

Easter Egg Nest Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter
2 cups mini marshmallows
1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg white
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 3/4 cup coconut, divided
little jelly beans

 Heat oven to 375
Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
Microwave butter and marshmallows at high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until mixture is melted when stirred
Beat sugar, egg white, vanilla and almond extract. Add to melted butter mixture, beating well.
Gradually add reserved flour mixture, beat until well blended. Stir in two cups of coconut. If needed, chill dough until easy to handle (mine set up pretty fast)
Shape into 1inch balls. (I used the small cookie scoop) Roll balls in the remaining coconut. If you want to color it that is good. I dyed mine green
Place the cookie balls on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press thumb in center of the balls.
Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
 Place 3 jelly bean in each center. I glued mine in with icing
Makes about 40 cookies.

After baking and adding the jelly beans. hmm, not really nest like looking.
I did try to freeze them for 10 minutes before baking and it made no difference.
I will make these again, they are tasty, just not the look I wanted!

No comments: