Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rhubarb Cookies

Found this recipe on the net, and tweeked it a bit. The original recipe called for a cream cheese frosting, they were good enough without the frosting. A cookie with little tart bits! I liked them. Lon helped me harvest the rhubarb but he did not want to try it, yet.


Rhubarb Cookies
Makes 3 dozen when using medium cookie scoop

1 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups diced fresh rhubarb
Fresh from my garden!
Nicely Diced

Preheat oven to 350
Mix shortening and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time
In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt.  Add this to the sugar mixture, gradually or the flour will go all over.  Stir in rhubarb

Drop by rounded spoonfuls onto a greased cookie sheet.  I used the medium cookie scoop.
Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown. The big cookie sheet took 15 minutes, the smaller sheets took 12.





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

you should show the flames on your blender - hard core!

Anonymous said...

They are in the oven now. The batter is yummy-- hope they turn out!

Jamie

Anonymous said...

Update: They took 12 minutes on thick aluminum sheets to get golden brown. The cookie part is pretty good but next time I would add a bit of vanilla and increase the rhubarb to as much as the batter can hold. They aren't tart enough for my taste-- but I'm a rhubarb fanatic!
Jamie

Anonymous said...

I made these, but didn’t have much rhubarb taste. Next time I’ll add more rhubarb and maybe a little less flour. I added cream cheese frosting for extra flavor.

Anonymous said...

Can I use frozen rhubarb