Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Freckles

They looked sort of like freckles to me.  Lon has told me they are great!  I was wondering what to make today, and went to see what I had in the pantry. I had some bits of butter toffee, coconut and mini chips.  I think I can work with that!

Freckles
1 cup shortening
1/3 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup bits of toffee
1 cup toasted coconut
1 cup mini chocolate chips



Heat oven to 350
As oven is heating up, spread coconut out on a baking sheet. One with rims helps alot.  I used frozen coconut and it took about 7 minutes as the oven heated up to get the coconut toasty. Stir it often. Do not just set the timer and walk away!
Set coconut aside to cool
Mix butter and shortening in a mixer till well blended. Add sugars, eggs, and vanilla. In this cookie I added 1 teaspoon of Princess for 1 teaspoon of the vanilla
In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter mixture.
Stir in the toffee, coconut, and mini chips --the chips give them the freckles!
Put parchment down on your baking sheets, the toffee makes the cookies stick a bit.
Drop by medium scoop onto lined baking sheets  

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. They are slightly chewy with bits of crunch. The toasted coconut will add a nutty flavor without adding nuts



No comments: